Monday, August 4, 2008

State of OZ-fairs, pt.1

For those who aren't aware, I plan on pressing the snooze button of life by pursuing my studies at the doctoral level. The research projects I undertook got me stoked on bioinformatics, in particular on RNA. After scoping out the coolest labs, 3 or 4 really withheld my attention. This one group in Brisbane, Australia seemed like the best initial choice based on location, research interests and scientific environment. Call it fate or what have you, as the principle investigator, Prof John Mattick, was flying to Montreal for a meeting with Genome Canada last December. I met him for an interview after which he accepted to supervise my Ph.D. (following consultation with my previous research advisors).

So off I go! We planned on starting towards late March. How naïve of a young graduate student to suppose commencing a Ph.D. overseas can be done so quickly! Long story short, I finally got an unconditional letter of offer for Ph.D. at the University of Queensland late June. I also received an institutional scholarship from the Institute for Molecular Bioscience (IMB).
For those of you who aren't already dozing off, the title of my preliminary research proposal is "the sequence-based portrayal of non-coding RNA regulatory networks". Right now, all that remains before I take an Air Canada B767 jet to Oztralia is a student visa. What's the hick you ask? Well in order to get the visa, I need the University to send the Department of Immigration an electronic confirmation of enrolment. And to be enrolled, I need either $15000 Australian bucks, or a tuition fee waiver. The latter is in process, as I have been granted a merit-based award that should speed things up considerably.

I'm expecting a response any day now, and will most definitely let you know as soon as possible ! Thanks for reading.

No comments: